- PRESENCE Network – Participatory Restoration of Ecosystem Services & Natural Capital, Eastern Cape learn more on our Where Are Restoration Projects page about this fantastic initiative.
- Climate Smart Agriculture The World Bank approached EEMP to develop a communications campaign concept and produce a number of short videos designed for different target audiences which will form the foundation of the World Bank’s work to promote Climate Smart Agriculture in the lead up to the Durban UNFCCC COP. The film was designed to build support for the concept of Climate Smart Agriculture (CSA) among decision makers. The production reflects the messages regarding the triple wins of CSA as communicated in support materials. The films focus on the positive potential of CSA to address land degradation, productivity gaps, the impact of climate change and potential for carbon capture worldwide, and highlight Africa’s leadership. Watch the films here.
- World Desertification Day The United Nations Convention to Combat Desertification (UNCCD) approached EEMP to produce a film for World Day to Combat Desertification on 17 June 2011. The aim of which was to raise awareness about the impacts of desertification, land degradation and drought. Outside specialist circles, the issues related to desertification, land degradation and drought (DLDD) remain technical and distant for a majority of the people living beyond the affected areas. Part of this disconnect arises because, apart from those who are directly affected, the public is largely unaware of the impacts of DLDD on their own lives, from the prices of consumer goods in grocery stores to climate disorder, energy supplies and migration. There is even less awareness of the potential gains to society from sustainable land management.Over 100 scientists and representatives of government, international and civil society organisation from around the world met in June in Dakar, Senegal, to discuss the region’s challenges of desertification and biodiversity loss, and the new climate change threat. The meeting ended on World Day to Combat Desertification. EEMP’s 12-minute film to celebrate the World Day to Combat Desertification, which was observed this year with the slogan, “Forests keep drylands working”, was shown. Watch the film here.
- The Campaign for Climate Stability, Ecosystem Restoration and Poverty Eradication, interview by Asia Youth Leader with John D. Liu.
- Earth’s Hope: Envisioning a Future without Poverty and a World with Intact Ecosystems, essay by John D. Liu.